How Dealerships Can Claim Their Unmanaged Facebook Pages

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook 0 Comments

A Facebook Page may exist for your dealership even if someone from your business didn’t actually create it. For example, when a person checks in to a place on Facebook that does not have an official Page, an unofficial Page is automatically created to represent that location. If the Page is unmanaged, you’ll see Unofficial Page below the Page’s cover …

Facebook is Cracking Down on Platform Misuse – What is the Impact for Your Dealership Page?

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook 0 Comments

Facebook regularly works towards reducing the spread of fake news and misinformation across their network. Facebook is now putting new measures in place to combat the spread of fake news and misinformation – including improved detection (using machine learning) and suspension of suspicious accounts. Dealerships should be aware of this crackdown via Facebook, as this could result in subsequent posts …

Facebook Dynamic Inventory Retargeting for Dealerships

Adam Goldberg Blog, Facebook, Social Media 0 Comments

Dealerships have numerous options when advertising online to generate traffic to their website, but which method is most effective? Which method is going to produce the highest ROI, sell the most inventory and drive brand awareness? Only 2% of website visitors will fill out a website contact form, so what about the other 98%. Facebook allows you to display ads …

Accelerate Your Dealership Facebook Page with Post Boosting

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook 0 Comments

Your dealership is trying to drive sales, but how do you make the most of Facebook and its powerful advertising platform to make that happen? You may want to try boosting your Facebook posts, but with a strategy. The days of blindly posting inventory on Facebook and hoping someone comes to your dealership to make a purchase are over. Your …

Leverage Your Customers to Amplify Your Dealership on Social Media

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook, Instagram, Social Media, Twitter 0 Comments

What is social media A.) An additional place to list inventory B.) A way to personalize your dealership C.) A task for my niece / nephew because they’re young and were born knowing what to do D.) A waste of time Correct Answer: B. After auditing a handful of dealership Facebook pages recently, I noticed that many don’t know what …

Love Your Dealership with Facebook Retargeting

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook 0 Comments

Here at LotVantage, we love, LOVE! With our favorite new company hashtag #ilovemylotvantage, we mean business. We strongly believe that it is worthwhile that dealership’s consider marketing matters of the heart when thinking about Facebook Retargeting. Valentine’s Day; the day when you give your sweetheart an oversized teddy bear, heart shaped boxes of chocolate and quite possibly a bushel of …

Longform Facebook Video Should Be a Focus for Dealerships and Manufacturers

Adam Goldberg Blog, Facebook, Video 0 Comments

Facebook recently announced another change to their News Feed algorithm, which will now favor longform video. Facebook is constantly working on News Feed to ensure users are enjoying their experience, with the goal to keep them on Facebook longer. In the announcement, Facebook encourages brands to “focus on creating videos that are relevant and engaging to their audiences. Longer videos …

Facebook Instant Reply for Dealerships

How To Set Up Facebook Instant Reply For Your Dealership Page

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook, How-To's, Social Media 0 Comments

What are Facebook Instant Replies? Instant Replies is a newer option from Facebook that allows you to automatically send messages as your Page’s first response to new messages. For example, you can use your Instant Reply message to let a customer know that you’ll get back to them soon, thank them for contacting your Page or give them a Call-to-Action …

social media for dealerships

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook, Social Media, Uncategorized 0 Comments

We’d like to share 5 things your dealership can do to improve their social media presence in 2017. According to estimates, the number of worldwide social media users has reached 1.96 billion and is expected to grow to some 2.5 billion by 2018. Considering the number of people interacting on social media networks, it is a no-brainer that dealerships should …

How To: Include a Call-to-Action on Your Dealership Facebook Page

Loren Fay Blog, Facebook, How-To's, Social Media 0 Comments

What is a Call-to-Action Button you ask? It is literally what it sounds like; it is a clickable button on a Facebook Page that gets your Page visitor to do something specific. A Call-to-Action, also commonly referred to as a CTA, helps drive people from Facebook to take actions that are important to your dealership. (i.e. booking a service at …